Your homework due Jan 24 is posted. Good work on the solubility lab today. A few things to remember for this week:
- Please write your regular concluding paragraph, as well as answer the 4 Postlab questions directly in your lab notebook under your concluding paragraph. Use the Google machine if you are unsure how to answer them.
- Here is an EXTRA CREDIT question, which you may include with the other 4 Postlab questions in your lab notebook: What compounds/ions are actually in a bottle of store-bought ammonia? Why is there a debate about this?
- Winter Break is Feb 4-8. No class this week. (Only one week of work will be due on Feb 14 for the two weeks you are out.)
- You will have a quiz on Feb 14 after Winter Break over the common acids. There is a handout linked to the Homework webpage with a list of these. Happy Valentine’s Day! ❤️
I will see you next week! Have a great weekend! jb
Can you believe it? You’ve almost made it halfway through chemistry?! Here are a few reminders about the end of the semester:
- Our last class of the semester is next week, December 6.
- We will have a regular class with lecture and lab. Bring your completed and checked Chap 8 Book Test to class with you on Dec 6.
- Please feel free but not obligated to bring a snack to share in class as we finish Chapter 8. (No nuts!)
- Your Chap 8 Online Test MUST be finished by Thursday, Dec 13. The test will close at 10pm that day. Bring your work to be graded with you to class on Jan 10 when classes resume.
- Your final semester grades will be posted on or before December 14.
- Those with absences will receive a notice over the break outlining how many he or she has. (Remember that you can only miss 3 labs and still receive your lab credit.)
I wish you a very restful and Merry Christmas! jb
Nice job on your start to Chapter 6.
Thanks to Abigail, we have a new and updated Periodic Table with tennessine! You will see this table attached to all of your tests from now on.
This week, be sure to complete the Balancing Equations worksheet that is linked to the Homework Page, along with completing the Assignment Sheet as usual.
Also, be sure to dress appropriately for lab next week. Have a great weekend! jb
You made it to Fall Break! You have one week of homework due on Oct 18 after Fall Break. There is not a new Prelab due because the Molecular Models Lab does not require one. You do have a Postlab due (5.2). Use p.152-153 to help you write it, especially the red box, include the two vocab words from book, also the words polar and non-polar, and the word “surfactant.”
When you get back, we’ll be very close to celebrating National Mole Day!
Enjoy your time off and stay safe! jb
One more class before Fall Break! You can do it!
Hopefully, things are starting to click by this point for you. If not, call/email/come see me ASAP with your questions.
The Chapter 4 Test will be open tomorrow through next Wednesday. Bring any math work to class next week. Here are some videos to help with Chapter 4 if you need it. Choose from any of the electron configuration videos.
Help session will be next Thursday, Oct 4, in my classroom at 2:30pm. Get some help before we move on with Chapter 5.
Have a great weekend! jb
Nice job on the flame tests! Don’t forget to include the six words/phrases below from the board in your Postlab due Thursday (along with reading p84-87). If you don’t know what something means, use the Google machine or your textbook’s glossary. Be sure you identify your two unknowns in the paragraph as well.
The Chap 3 Test opens tomorrow at 8am and closes Wednesday at 10pm.
See you soon! jb
Nice job on the math and the puns today!
For next week:
Be sure you have handwritten your Prelab into your lab notebooks as usual (according to the Flame Test Lab linked to the HW site).
Please note that the data tables are to be hand-drawn into the V. Data Section before coming to class. BaCl2 was left off the table, please add it in.
Be sure you are dressed appropriately for lab. Cover feet and legs.
I look forward to seeing you then! jb